How 4D Planning And Scheduling Will Help Increasing Project Success?
Linking BIM to project management tools in an accessible and affordable way brings huge benefits to the planning process and the efficiency of construction.
4D-Planning in construction management is a method of visualizing the schedule. This method is based on Building information modeling (BIM) which is a process that came to revolutionize the work -flow of the Architecture, Engineering and Construction (AEC) Industry. The fourth dimension of BIM focuses on linking the 3D geometrical models with time and scheduling. The visualization of the schedule using 4D planning methods if combined with other scheduling methods facilitates communication and decision making throughout planning and construction phase. The opportunities of 4D planning also improve procurement management and spatial constrains reinforcing and supplement the location-based scheduling. Another approach that gains more and more ground is the linkage of 4D BIM with the Lean construction practices. This article investigates the values and benefits that 4D Planning intends to create simultaneously with the barriers and constrains that need to be addressed to minimize the cost and time of construction projects and maximize the benefits and effectiveness; how 4D planning supports some of the most common scheduling practices is also a matter of interest.
By combining 3D models with scheduling tools in one application, 4D Planning and Controlling enables you to use the visual power of 4D planning to:
- Model-based scheduling and model-based estimating help the team to work on measurement details of the structure. 4D immediately increases the predictability and profitability of the project, delivering them on budget and on time.
- Ease even the biggest of projects’ way from sketch to actual construction using 4D. Taking the advantages of 4D to bring out the most effective communication among the building team members.
- Identify problems that may not be visible via traditional schedules
- Run scenarios to assess feasibility of execution and find the best solutions
- See the impact in the 3D view as you update the Gantt chart
- Study how the build process will appear at different project stages
- Integrate as-built information
- Create better tenders, faster
- Optimize your budget by careful scheduling